Martini Glass Example #1 (False News)

The following news story is meant to be an example of my writing style. It does not reflect real events. It is false news.

A 10-year-old boy died in an apartment fire at Anderson Villa, while a neighbor saved his 14-year-old brother’s life.

The 10-year-old’s name was Kenneth Fuson. His brother, Michael Fuson, has second- and third-degree burns on his hands, arms, face, neck, back, buttocks and thighs. Their mother, Linda Fuson, was missing until some time after firefighters responded to the call. 

“Fire in an enclosed area such as an apartment can push temperatures to 1,700 degrees Fahrenheit near the ceiling and 1,000 degrees on the floor,” said Neil Heesacker, fire department spokesperson. 

The fire burned through the floor and the gypsum walls, and melted the television set. Three pet birds died.

Darren Nitz, 31, saved Michael from the inferno. He lives just below the Fusons’ apartment. While other neighbors called for help, Nitz went headfirst into the flames and did everything he could.

At about 6:35 a.m., Nitz heard neighbors yelling about the fire. Then he went upstairs to the Fusons’ apartment. 

“Michael was about seven feet from his bedroom door,” Nitz said. “He was saying ‘I can’t, I can’t.’… I said, ’We’ve got to get out of here.’” 

Darren couldn’t grab the child’s arm because it was so badly burned. He threw Michael over his shoulder and carried him out. 

When Darren returned to save Kenneth, it was too late. Brad Lindsey, 24, grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried to help.

“It was fully going when we got up there. Just after we got up them, it just vacuumed and shot right across the stairway,” Lindsey said.

Linda Fuson, the boys’ mother, arrived some time after 6:40am. Her whereabouts before then were unknown. At around 7:05am the fire was subdued by firefighters. 

Anderson Villa is a 32-unit apartment complex located at 15758 S.E. Division St. It’s a $480,000 apartment building. Damages are estimated at $50,000 to the building, with an additional $90,000 to the apartment and its contents. The fire also caused smoke damage to the apartment of Pat and Lisa Hampton.

Michael is in critical condition at Emanuel Hospital and Health Center.